perennial Thoughts

Home

A blog of free-flowing commentary, poetry, and journal writing from the mind of an undergrad at UCSC.



Sunday, January 18, 2009

Introduction, my Day, and some Commentary

Introduction (intro-into, duct-lead, tion-act or state; why, yes, I do take AP English Lang.)

I've been debating whether or not to write a blog of my comments, thoughts, and rants. I try to spend little time on the computer, opting to read and write the "old-fashion" way. However, I've realized that my journal cannot comment on my opinions and that blogging has become an inevitable place for me to talk and, hopefully, hear some response. Even if no one reads this except for my future self reflecting on my naivety, it is a nice way to put my thoughts in order and, perhaps, figure some stuff out through the creative flow of writing.

Here goes nothing.

Starbucks (a mythical creature)

This morning, my step-mom (Pam), younger sister (Kelsey), and I (Melissa) walked through the park and across the road to our local Noah's New York Bagels. We snagged a seat in the next-door Starbucks, and I was left standing in line at Noah's. I'm in there every day, so the bored faces behind the counter were nothing ordinary. I ordered my bagels toasted with nothing on them and got out of there quick. Our family never eats in Noah's. It just doesn't happen. So I met my family in Starbucks. My dad had been on a massive bike ride with his friends and had just arrived to meet us.

I got into line and beckoned Pam to stand with me (and bring the money). Tod, Morgan, and other familiar faces stood behind the counter, penning symbols and Starbucksy words on paper and plastic cups of three to four various sizes. I had been wanting to try one of Starbucks's fancy new tea lattes, so I had in hand a card for a complimentary one, size tall. My purple travel mug is size grande, so I couldn't save this earth this morning and use it (no 10¢ discount for me!). Morgan with the curly hair and glasses who always greets his customers with a cheery welcome took my drink order, and that of my step-mom. "Double-tall decaf hazelnut soy latte," Pam ordered. "Tall iced green tea latte with soy," I said. I sat down at the table in "Norm's Corner" with my dad and Kelsey.

Norm had been a Starbucks regular, always sitting at the corner table with his buds talking politics. I'd spoken with him a few Wednesday mornings about books and he seemed like a kind fellow. One day I noticed a guest book sitting on a promotional table near the line. An obituary and a sign with Norm's name and picture accompanied it. He had died in a car accident on his way home from Tahoe. It was very shocking and sad. I wrote a little note in the guest book about how I'd talked to him a few times. The sign went up soon after that by his usual table.

So, today at Norm's old table, my sister and dad were playing an intensely-heated game of chess. My dad has been teaching my sister and me how to play chess. We aren't chess masters yet, but just you wait. So they played chess and I ate my everything bagel and Pam came back to the table and I read some more of War and Peace (which every person should attempt to read at some point in their life) and then finally, my drink arrived on the bar, iced and green. I was a little hestitant, because there were these floating green specks that didn't look quite so appetizing. I thrust a straw into the hole in the top of the plastic lid (I rarely use straws because of the HUGE waste of plastic, but today I figured my family might be tasting this new concoction and wanted to be courteous to their needs), and took a sip. It was okay, but what was that terrible after taste? I had stuck my straw into the bottom, where a layer of tea leaves sat. It tasted like seaweed. My face puckered up with disgust and told my family that it was gross. Starbucks, this is for you, so listen up: take the bitter-tasting tea leaves out of your would-be-great green tea lattes! I avoided the tea leaves, sipping from the center of my cup. But some of those pesky little green specks kept being suctioned into my mouth. I finally handed the cup to my dad and step-mom and told them to keep it. So, commentary #1 for the day: do not buy Starbucks's green tea lattes unless you are willing to sip upon seaweed-tasting flecks that ruin the entire experience.

(I suppose that my earlier remark about straws should be bolded too; straws are a waste of plastic - just opt for no lid and sip from the side. If you must use a straw, use sparingly. This is true at restaurants, too. Tell your waitress to leave those straws in her apron! We should teach children this tip at a young age, so that perhaps they can help to save the planet.)

My turn at chess came, and I played my sister and lost. I wanted another drink, so I asked the barist to fill my purple travel mug with an iced caramel macchiato with soy. (Notice a trend? I'm allergic to dairy!) She told me she knew my drink would contain soy. I probably should know her name since I see her most days, but she doesn't know mine so we're even, I guess. In the end, she forgot the whole "iced" bit, and so my drink was hot and had whip on top. I'm not one to waste resources, especially coffee (wasted coffee is a tragedy), so I dealt with it and decided I'd ice it at home. My family waltzed on home. I had to carry the foldable chess board and my fatty War and Peace. Not comfortable, my friend, not comfortable.

Soccer
(I played it for 3 years)

Before heading to Starbucks, my sister and I had decided we'd kick the soccer ball around at the park after our Starbucks run. Our soccer ball is deflated, full of holes, and one can stand upon it without worrying that they will fall. But we love it. So we rushed over to the park and kicked the ball around, laughing and falling over. It was hot out. Eventually we needed a break, so we rushed home and changed and had sips of water and then went back out to kick the ball and play games. We had great fun and got all gross and full of giggles. What a nice way to spend a Sunday!

The End - for now!

That's pretty much my day. I mean, after soccer, I showered and did some math homework out in the front yard. My whole fam' sat out there. I made some grilled cheese sandwiches (with Veggie Cheese, of course), and we all hung out, Kelsey in the car with our Boston Terrier Simon, and the rest of us in beach chairs on the driveway. (It probably didn't look as weird as you're imagining it to be.) Felt like summer, aside from the whole homework thing.

My sister is writing her own blog. I'll add a link under "Friends," but here it is in case you're dying to read it: http://quinquo.blogspot.com/.

---

When I go I leave no trace.
The beauty of the country is becoming a part of me.
Now the aspen trunks are tall and white in the moonlight.
A wind croons in the pines,
The mountain sleeps.
--Everett Ruess

3 comments:

  1. I love it. You didn't include the morning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your post about today's various events. You're such a good writer. Any day I can spend with you and Kelsey and Pam is a wonderful day. Thanks for capturing this day in words and for sharing it with us.

    I love the Everett Ruess quotation, and by the way the green iced tea drink tasted good to me, but then again I don't have the most discerning taste buds.

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete